The Daily Populous

Thursday September 1st, 2022 morning edition

image for Sony And Tencent Buy 30% Shares In FromSoftware, Will Expand IP Into New Games And More

Sony and Tencent have made a big purchase this morning as they become big shareholders in FromSoftware, developers of the Dark Souls series and Elden Ring.

Sony Interactive Entertainment has purchased 14.1% of shares, whilst Tencent has an even larger 16.3%, for a combined total of 30.4%.

Combined the two companies now own almost a third of the legendary video game company.

The majority shareholder is still Kadokawa with 69.6%, as is shown in official documents from today.

The interest from Sony is unsurprising, after the success of PlayStation-exclusive Bloodborne, releasing in 2015 but having a continued legacy thanks to a dedicated fan base.

This line of reasoning makes perfect sense, as Sony has been in both the movie and gaming business for years.

The intent of sale on behalf of FromSoftware does specify expanding the market for their games, and Tencent’s popularity in China could help greatly expand FromSoftware’s market into the region. »

Spirals of Delusion: How AI Distorts Decision-Making and Makes Dictators More Dangerous

Authored by

But thinking about AI in terms of a race for dominance misses the more fundamental ways in which AI is transforming global politics.

Another pioneer of artificial intelligence, Norbert Wiener, described AI as a “cybernetic” system—one that can respond and adapt to feedback.

For this reason, many observers have fretted that advances in AI will only strengthen the hand of dictators and further enable them to control their societies. »

California passes bill to protect workers who smoke pot off the clock

Authored by
image for

California could soon become the seventh state in the United States to protect pot-smoking employees.

The bill would not apply to other tests that might determine whether an employee is currently high.

Currently, six other states — Connecticut, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island — have enacted laws that protect employees who smoke marijuana at home and while off the clock. »

Democrat Mary Peltola wins special election in Alaska, defeating Palin

Authored by
image for

ANCHORAGE — Democrat Mary Peltola has won a special election for the U.S. House in Alaska, defeating Republican Sarah Palin and becoming the first-ever Alaska Native to win a seat in Congress as well as the first woman to clinch the state’s at-large district.

National Democratic groups did not participate in the special election race even as Peltola was outraised by Palin, according to federal campaign finance reports.

correction A previous version of this story inaccurately said the winner of the Alaska special election would serve until November. »