A British man died after eating a fishcake so hot that it burned his throat and left him struggling to breathe, the Independent reports.
Darren Hickey, a 51-year-old wedding planner from Horwich, England, died on April 5, 2019, just one day after he purportedly tried a scalding-hot fishcake at a wedding venue.
Hickey initially felt a burn at the back of his throat and by the afternoon, the pain got worse, forcing him to visit the urgent care ward at a hospital.
Neil Parkinson, Hickey's partner, revealed that he later found Hickey choking as a result of swelling in his throat, prompting Parkinson to immediately take action.
Paramedics rushed Hickey to a different hospital, but the 51-year-old, who had allegedly suffered a stroke seven years earlier, died just after midnight.
"The patient can appear well, they will be talking to you, but then the swelling starts," Waugh explained at the inquest.
"This was caused by eating a fishcake, very small and very hot but with catastrophic consequences. »